Monday, May 7, 2007

Round # 2 Begins

Wednesday May 9 I will begin my next 21 day chemo therapy cycle by main-lining 500ml of carboplatin and 500ml of gemcitabine. These two drugs will work together in my body by attacking the fast growing cells for the next 10 days.
They will hack away at the cancer wherever it is found. (I see a scene from the movie Brave Heart.) Then on day 8 I hook up to the i. v. bag again for a reinforcement of 500ml of carboplatin. ( I see William Wallace in Brave Heart leading a charge of fresh warriors.)
The timing of this and the drugs that I get is my own personal protocol that was worked out for me by the doctors at the cancer clinic.
Now, I want to tell you about my neighbour. (Another affirmation of God with us.) His name is Jim. He is a bright, experienced man with a sharp whit and a warm heart. We greet when we meet on the street and share stories. My boys and I help he and his wife with small chores when we can.
Two weeks ago Jim came to our door to say that he has heard about our situation and would like to come in to talk. After a minute or two we find out that Jim is the recently retired Head of Oncology at the BC Cancer Agency in Vancouver. He and his colleagues have spent the last 35 years developing the drugs and protocols involved in treating cancer with chemotherapy. Let's just say that he would have knowledge about our situation.
He came over that day to give me a hug and say that if he could be of any help just ask. As a matter of fact I got two hugs from him that day and I called him during the lung bleed episode in the first round of chemo for some much valued information. Now, we are on to round #2. Day one is Wednesday May 9 and day eight will be Wednesday May 16 then 14 days is the therapy time to let the drugs do their work and me to recover. May 30 will be day one of round #3 chemo. There will be 6 rounds in total in this protocol which will bring us to some time in August. It is time for the battle to begin. For life!! CHARGE !!!

1 comment:

KM said...

Hi Mike,

I was searching the internet for information on lung cancer and stumbled on your blog.

I just wanted to wish you the best with your chemo.

Regards,
Ken