Friday, June 8, 2007

Side Effect

This is one side effect that no one told me about and one that I never expected. An infection in my arm from having so many needle pokes. Too many blood tests and IV hook ups left me with a swollen and sore left elbow. I called the nurse at the cancer clinic and their advise to me was to have my GP look at it. Dr. Miller fit me in to his busy day on Monday and wanted me to go to the ER to have an ultra sound and/or antibiotics (IV antibiotics? ok, I'm not afraid.) This past Monday was "VGH annual why hurry day". Jody and I checked in the ER at 12:30 and did the first of 3 IV antibiotic treatments then left the ER at 7:00pm. We were assured that it was especially busy in the ER that day and when we returned for the other IV antibiotic treatments we would be fast tracked. We were. We went back on Tuesday and Wednesday and things were much faster. However, on Monday I noticed lots of standing around and Tuesday and Wednesday there seemed to be professional people moving around the hospital. So we got through that with a bottle of horse pills that I need to take 4 times a day. Jody says any day not in a hospital is a good day.
Officially I have volunteered for the chemotherapy trial that I mentioned last week so now I have to go through more tests to see if I actually qualify. Either way, I will begin treatments June 20. Pray that these drugs will do what they are supposed to do against the cancer. Pray also for me as I recover from these drugs and begin the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Just Bob said...

Mike,

I like your blog. You one funny guy. Someone once said that comedy is simply a, "funny way of being serious." You one serious funny guy.

I enjoyed our walk last week and hope to do more of that with you. I will see you at the big Meeks Gig on Monday night.

Here a definition of humour for you to consider: Humour is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility. I think Will Rogers said that.

Keep up the writing it is good for the soul and the mind.

Pastor Bob

The CHEN'S said...

What an amazing night, sorry that we missed seeing you , but we did see the kids and said hello. And by the way.....the whole selling of Cotton Candy.......brilliant idea....Yup ! bought 4 bags myself, Yup ! .....and right around 9:30 or so, I cracked everyone of those bags open and started feeding all the little preschoolers, Yup, great night...thanks Mike.

mike and cecille said...

hello mike, you look good on T.V prime time this evening. I was almost in tears watching you all. you are fighting the good fight mike. we love you and we are praying for your total recovery. we like to keep you around just like everyone wants.

mike and cecille said...

hi mike, it sounds like you have a good team of doctors and nurses at vgh and at the cancer agency plus you haave the living God who has been watching you and making sure you are alright every step of the way. There is a verse in the bible (I'll just paraphrase it), we are pressed from side to side, bruised up head to toe but we are not killed yet.He doesn't allow heavy burden beyond our capacity to get through it all. There is joy after the storm. we went through it.we understand what you and jody are going through. You have a lot of sense of humor. it's true that loughter is one of the best medicine. being a clown helps plus you get paid doing it.