Sunday, January 6, 2008

Happy New Year !


The new year brings new challenges and new hope. Since December 31st I have been taking the new chemo, a daily Tarceva pill down the hatch into a empty stomach.- Kaboing! - Then the biological party begins. This chemo drug will find it's way through my body to the liver tumours. Here the drug does it's destructive duty by penetrating the cell membrane to undo the DNA of each cell. It messes with enzymes that the DNA use to tell the cell to reproduce. No reproduction - no happy cancer. I'm the same way. What genius. When Tarceva is in town lock up your DNA and hide your enzymes or your life cycle won't make it all the way around. This message hasn't reached the cancer cells yet but researchers have seen cancer build up a resistance so the chemo drugs become ineffective. That would be an unfortunate situation to find one self in so, we are taking Tarceva for 30 days. Just enough to give the liver lesions a nasty sting then float back before they know what happened. The chemotherapy is giving my body the tools it needs to heal itself. The more I research the more I discover that this is true. Other knowledge I've uncovered is that data from many studies has shown that the level of severity of skin rash is connected to the odds of survival. The worse the rash the better survival. I got it bad, that is good. New challenges and new hope.

No comments: