Saturday, December 1, 2007

Lung Cancer Support Group



The Lung Cancer Support Group meets at the BCCA on the last Wednesday of every month. The group is the first ever in Vancouver and has only met 3 times. It brings together people with lung cancer and people supporting others with the disease. We are all so different. We come from different backgrounds, we are different ages and we are in different stages of the disease and treatment. But, I believe we all have so much in common. Fear, suffering, the need for support and the desire to help others. Not that we talk about it openly (yet).
With each person at a different place in their treatment, questions and insights on topics discussed vary. One fellow is quite candid with what he has to say, "Side effects? Everything I eat tastes awful. I'm losing weight." He is about 80 years old and he was accompanied by one of his daughters. I get the feeling from something he said, that cancer has changed him. What he said was so simple and sincere, "Love one another." Hearing that from this hard old man brought me to tears.
There is a woman who finished treatments 18 months ago and is now enjoying an early retirement. She is living with only one lung (as is another younger guy in the support group). The retiree shared from her perspective, how important a positive attitude was to her healing. She referred to herself as a cancer survivor and someone said that we are all cancer survivors. That's when the hard old man said "We don't let the non-survivors in." We all laughed heartily.
The topic for last weeks meeting was - How do we cope with cancer? I'll quote the hard old man "It's just another challenge for me to face and deal with."
I'm different from the general population in the support group because I have an appetite and don't feel nausea too badly. I have a serious skin rash (which is now causing swelling in my legs). Hows the rash? You may ask. It's ... kind of ... like ... um ... AHHHHHHHHHH! Get this skin off of me !
So, if you ask me that same question and you get a different answer, chances are that I'm being socially aware. Which is a good thing.
The ongoing saga of Meekings and ICBC has a development. We have replaced one van with a 2003 Mazda MPV. Jody and I are pleased with the purchase. As soon as the snow clears we will be back at it, hunting for a 2nd car. Please pray for the rash and the car.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Nice looking van!

Jim Raddysh said...

Mike - It sounds like the old guy has his feet on the ground, Nice Van. I will keep an eye open for a second vehicle for you. Most of the cars for sale over here would not be allowed off the island. Have a wonderful holiday season with your family. We (The Raddyshes) are thinking about you.
Jim

lenard said...

Hi Mike,

The Trollsons are thinking of you!

Sorry about the vans! Quite the demolition derby on your street!

You have such an incredible family.
Lots of love to you all.

Heidi and Len and Milan
(TheTrollsons)

John Kaplan said...

Hey Mike,

It was great seeing you and Jody onboard the ferry to Victoria a few weeks ago, and nice that we were able to just sit and talk. I'm often asked by folks how you're doing; I always tell them you're taking it day by day and have a great attitude along with the support of family and friends to help you through this. From your friend, to you and your family, I wish you all the very best of the season.
John