Saturday, September 22, 2007

Roller Coaster



I have been trying to avoid this simile for some time now because I thought it was too cliche. It couldn't possibly describe what I'm experiencing. But, it is the image that best illustrates what I am trying to say on this day. Ups and downs. Good days and bad days. The tracks of the course that will be followed have been laid and hopefully securely fastened down by knowledgeable engineers and skilled craftsmen. There are no options for choosing another route once you are on the roller coaster. Each rider must simply hang on until the train pulls into the station where they can disembark with an experience to call their own. Emotional, physical, and spiritual ups and downs, this is a reality for me. Some days I mourn to be back in bed under the blankets until noon or later and find it easy to whine and complain about the slightest thing. (But I don't.) I end up slothing around in a fog trying to keep appearances up.- this is a down day. Other days I will have my world of family, friends, reading, writing, exercise and chores in order and I sail through the day. I'm effective! I have accomplishments - achievements! Yes, this is an up day. Same person, same circumstances just in two different realities.
At any one time, I could be living in one of two separate worlds. Each one just as real as the other. Each world is controlled by a central thought unique to it's origin. One world is based on the knowledge that I am loved by Him and He is easy to be loved. The other world is based on the thought "You stupid idiot! How could you have let this happen to you? Even if you do survive, you are going to screw the whole thing up."
Just as real. One assumes that The Author and Finisher of Life - The Creator of the Universe is in control. The other assumes that I'm in control. God is not trying to make himself more real. He is giving me the opportunity to decide for myself.
"I think to myself. What a wonderful world."

2 comments:

Bob the pastor said...

Just think Mike people pay to ride that rollercoaster…cheap thrills, I guess. The best advice I can give is hang on and do your best to somehow enjoy the ride. When the ride is over you get to get off, remember that (I’m a cancer survivor and know a bit about the ride myself).

As I said on Sunday, in the game of life everyone must take his turn, you cannot pass or get a designated hitter to take your place at bat. It’s your turn Mike and your hitting the ball every time you swing. Some are homeruns and some our foul balls or pop flies, but your still at bat, so keep swinging you’ve not struck out yet. Consider me as your batting coach, who keeps telling you to swing at the good pitches and let the goof balls go bye. The bases are loaded Mike and you’re at bat and the whole team is behind you cheering for you.

Have a good day tomorrow

Pastor Bob

Unknown said...

When my daughter would get up to bat, I would yell, "Like you can!"

Well, I am shouting the same thing, "Like you can Mike, with Him at your side, spank it a good one!"

DonnaH