Tuesday, April 29, 2008

God the Healer

First of all, I deeply appreciate all of you who are praying for me. Please continue to seek Him. I know these prayers, meditations and requests to God are what is keeping me alive day to day. 
My friend tells me that his 7 year old daughter prays and weeps for me daily. After 16 months of chemo therapy and prayer therapy, it begs the question - If God is the healer, why am I still sick ?
Possible answers -
1. God is not real, Jesus isn't who He said He is and miracles don't happen. There is no hope because the human race has been fooling themselves for all of time.
2. God is real but He doesn't like me because I was a bully in elementary school, a pot head in high school, I really haven't loved all my neighbours all the time, I pollute ... (I could go on)
3. He is on a business trip in the Middle East and will get to our prayers when things cool down there. 
Why am I still sick? Is a good question, along with - Why is there suffering in the world? Why do we allow people to hurt each other? Why do we argue over who God is and how to worship Him?  There are many more deep and meaningful questions. The answers are there, near Him in the garden of wisdom, waiting to be discovered by each of us. 
What would you say? Why am I still sick? Why should I suffer? The bible is filled with suffering. There are many stories of how one was called to serve but before they began being a prophet, king or leader of some kind they had a time of running from an army or living in the wilderness or surviving a famine. Read it, it is inspiring to see the human side of the God Book.
God is the healer, the source of life. Suffering has made me dependent on Him knowing this is my only hope. This is not a formula to memorize or a process to follow but the love between a father and his child. 

4 comments:

Jacki said...

Hi Mike. How's May treating you? I added your page as a link off my blogspot so that I am reminded every day to keep praying. I pray for God's nearness and joy on you today!!

mike and cecille said...

Hello Mike, you've got an interesting question you thrown at your readers. why are you still sick? Why are you suffering? I would say, Why not. I have the same questions when my husband had to go through cancer treatment. you mentioned your trust in the God of the universe our redeemer. We continue praying and trusting God for your complete healing.

DonnaH said...

Hi Mike,
Interesting question indeed. I have a few questions I would like answered myself. Such are the mysteries of our God. All I stand on is, 'God is good'.

We continue to pray for you.

Love the Harned Clan

Jac said...

Hi Mike, I've been meaning to write to confess why your rash may be so bad. I was praying for you one evening (as we do every night) and Senna interrupted with "and we pray that Mike's rash gets worse" -huh? Well, she had read in your blog at one time that the worse the rash, the better the survival rate. Do you think other kids may be praying the same thing???
Blessings to you & your family as you navigate through this difficult time - with each other & with God. Speaking of navigation, the sailboat is moored at Yaletown - if you're up to it, give us a call.
Love, Jac, Wendell & kids