Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Rounding the Curve


Can you see the smile on my face? Can you sense the joy in my heart? The tumours are shrinking! This is news gleaned from the CT scan taken last week. Dr. Ho gave us an overview of the images and a rundown of the numbers as she inserted a sincere and subtle “Thank God.” I had three tumours in my head. Now, the scan shows one tiny mass behind my eye and a larger mass filling my whole skull. (I hope the big one is my brain) This is the result of the 5 radiation treatments I had back in April – radiation has been active in my head all this time. The chemotherapy drugs are doing their work too. The lung tumour is breaking up and of the 3 lesions in my liver 2 are specks and one is smaller. Our Chemo Capers are rounding a bend.
Now I need to stay in the healing mode as we see how God’s work continues to amaze us.
Negotiating this curve on our journey can be like taking corners on a motorcycle. When you are riding into a curve, reduce your speed before starting to lean into the turn. Then give it throttle as you are coming out of the bend. Timing is key. When you lean and begin to accelerate will determine if you come out of the corner with a thrill or a spill. Spinning rubber with tires down or shooting sparks with your feet up.
My point is –it is time to give glory to God and stay focused on the healing mode.
Looking at the big picture – it just doesn’t seem fair. Why do I have to deal with a terminal disease like lung cancer? It is not fair that I live my life with a wonderful wife, a fantastic family and loads of supportive friends.
It is not about being fair. Like in a hockey game. The game would be fair if you gave each team their own puck before you blew the whistle to start the game. Kind of stupid but fair.

I have been given all this as my life to live with Him who gave it to me.

4 comments:

DonnaH said...

Hi Mike and Family,
A big hello from Prince George. Our thoughts and prayers are for you. God is good all the time. Why trials come our way is a mystery. Only He can work out what only He is able. We think of you lots since we heard of your news a week ago. The Hanson family was in town and got us up to speed. I appreciate your humour that comes through even in such a time as this. You continue to make people laugh, which is a great gift. Keep it up; we need it.

We love you and your family much.

Donna,
\0/
and Glenn, Kaylee, David
\0/ \o/ \o/

The CHEN'S said...

Mike and Jodi, we just arrived home from the island and heard the news, we are so very happy for you both and for the children. So glad that you beat that expirey date!!!
As always.....lots of love and prayers, David and Tammie.

mike and cecille said...

We are so happy to hear the good news. We thank our living God for your complete recovery. God speed the Meeking family.

Michele and Octavian said...

Hi Mike and Jody
We are so glad to hear that progress has been made. We stand with you in this and pray for you regularly. We saw Nan in July here in Ontario and she and Cam are praying too. Mike, you are a brilliant writer and your sense of humour shines through. You put us at ease in the midst of your pain. What a gift you have. We pray for complete healing and a sense of the Lord's presence daily!
love,
Michele, Octavian and Evan (Debau)